Monday, January 23, 2017

Welcome to Kenya: removing the blinders

After a grueling few days of travel, we finally land in Nairobi, Kenya. My eye catches a big sign that says "Welcome to Kenya," and before I know it, I'm hearing "Jambo!" (an informal Swahili greeting, like "how are you") from every direction. This welcoming never stopped. Throughout the six-hour drive from Nairobi to Nanyuki, people on the streets smiled and waved to us as we passed by. This was to be a recurring theme throughout my trip. 

Ever since that first day, I have been both surprised and overjoyed by the friendliness of Kenyan people. Everyone we have met has looked us in the eye, given us a firm handshake or a hug, and said "Jambo" or "welcome." This may seem like regular old human decency, but coming from Silicon Valley, it is far from the norm. All week, I have had to slowly remove the "blinders." It has been both difficult and refreshing. 


I am used to walking into a room full of people with blinders on. They are glued to their screens, and don't even bother to acknowledge your existence, let alone say "hello" or "how are you." I also find that in Silicon Valley, friends and acquaintances often don't greet you. Perhaps you saw a friend yesterday, or maybe this friend has caught up with you on social media, so when he/she sees you today, he/she doesn't feel the need to ask you how you are doing, or to even really acknowledge your existence when you walk in the room. But it is so different here. I have been working at an NGO all week called Mount Kenya Youth Hub. Every morning, the members (young people in their mid-twenties), shake our hands and acknowledge us before getting on with the day. This may be because we are volunteers and tourists, but I get the vibe that it's more than that.

This ability to communicate and acknowledge people reminds me of one of the pillars that the girls at Daraja Academy (the school we are staying at) follow. At Daraja, there are four pillars, and one is shown in the picture below. This "open communication" is a noticeable practice throughout the Kenyan community that I have experienced thus far. At the Mount Kenya Youth Hub, an organization for people ages 18-35 that is much like 4-H Club, communication is extremely open and efficient. I remember struggling with that in 4-H. There would be constant miscommunication, and when problems were addressed, the members often got offended and progress would come to a stand still. The members of the Mt. Kenya Youth Hub collaborate on almost every decision, and are unafraid to openly discuss issues. These issues get resolved very quickly, as the focus is always on the next step or the solution.

I am excited to be immersed in this community for another week and a half. I hope that I can bring some of this newfound communication and human connection home with me.  
                 

No comments:

Post a Comment