Friday, January 13, 2017

I Am From...

To prepare for our trip to Kenya, we read some Kenyan poetry, biographies of Kenyan figures, and a book about writing. This poem is the result of an exercise in the book "Writing to Change the World," by Mary Pipher.


I am from dancing on top of finished puzzles.

I am from milkshakes made in the garage by my daddy, from playing in the rain with my mother and sisters.

I am from always learning, from waking up in the morning to an adventure, not a desk.

I am from barbies and make believe.

I am from waving to my dad out the window.

I am from California culdesac Summers, from kickball every day, from neighborhood walks to Walgreens.

I am from "...tongues in trees, bookes in the running brookes, sermons in stones, and good in every thing" (Shakespeare, As You Like It, 2.1).

I am from singing, singing, and singing.

I am from my grandfathers fried chicken and my grandmothers mac & cheese.

I am from the magic of summer camp.

I am from the stars that shine down on a farm in the night time.

I am from Ella Fitzgerald, Dave Brubeck, Frank Sinatra, and Michael Bublé.

I am from the roar of bagpipes, and the strength of the Highland Fling.

I am from giggling in church on Sunday.

I am from long friendships.

I am from forced family game nights.

I am from tea and biscuits, and baseball.

I am from family.

I am from wondering why, what if, and from my sister's calming words.

No comments:

Post a Comment