Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Getting there

San Francisco to New York (5 hour flight) to Amsterdam (6 hour flight) to Nairobi (7.5 hour flight) to Nanyuki (6 hour drive). It was long and exhausting, but I found the gradual separation from home to be interesting. I love New York. I've been there once and want to go back soon, but I always feel like it is so far away. As the city became just another starting place for another flight, it seemed closer to home than usual. "We are still in the states" I thought. So much farther to go.


After New York we flew to Amsterdam. I've been to Europe before, specifically to London, Budapest, and Vienna for short trips and I'd love to go back someday! But today, Amsterdam was just another point of take off. Again...so much farther to go. Attempting to get my bearings, I realize that I'm straight across from London, counting one hour back instead of eight hours forward. I think about London a lot, how far away it is and how much I want to be there. It feels strange when it is closer to home than I am.



Fortunately, we actually had time to see the city on our long layover in Amsterdam! It was beautiful. Please read the next post to see pictures and hear about what we did!

No comments:

Post a Comment